11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

WCE vs Pies

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: WCE vs Pies

Postby HH on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Definitely enjoying the win but I think it is important to bear in mind the big picture.

The Pies lost two key players which really affected their structure in De Goey and Howe.

Until such time as we can win away from home, I wouldn’t get too carried away.

Having said that, there were positives to take from the game.

Witherden had a great club debut. Brander continues on his journey following his break out game. Darls was fantastic. And Keifer is the man.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Favonius Aquila on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Waterman looks much better as a half forward - let's hope Simmo stops putting him in the backline.
Witherdon had a great game, as did Rotham & Duggan.
Kennedy, Darling, Allen - what a great trio up forward!

It's concerning that teams seem able to get a run of goals against us - 8 from the Saints & 4 from the Pies.

How the f*#% does Ray Chamberlain keep getting a gig?! He can't bounce the ball and makes incorrect calls when situated 100m from the contest. The deliberate out of bounds was a shocker.
Favonius Aquila
Rookie

Postby DALBY on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:27 am

Duggan and Witherden were great, loved Oscars game too. Hope we keep him for the next 10 years.

Vardy and JK were not in the game. Good to see Redden try hard too. Good win, I agree though, Pies lost two stars, helped us heaps.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mykidsdad on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:37 pm

How has Witherden not got a game before now. Clearly better than Cole and Nelson.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby penrith eagle on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 pm

HH wrote:Definitely enjoying the win but I think it is important to bear in mind the big picture.

The Pies lost two key players which really affected their structure in De Goey and Howe.

Witherden had a great club debut. Brander continues on his journey following his break out game. Darls was fantastic. And Keifer is the man.

Spot on good post

I'am not confident against the cats

If we can supply the forwards we can win......its the mids which is still the issue
Time to repay the faith Tim Kelly 2021 is it his year ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Hamburger on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:22 pm

penrith eagle wrote:
HH wrote:Definitely enjoying the win but I think it is important to bear in mind the big picture.

Spot on good post

If we can supply the forwards we can win......its the mids which is still the issue

We have not won at Kardinia Park/or whatever they call it now since 2006....and that was the classic comeback from 36 points down to win by 3 points. That is a 15 year span. That's why we generally get scheduled to play them there most years..... Am I confident? No, but that said the Cats have looked pretty scratchy so far and could easily be 2 and 3. Our midfield will again need to stand up if we are to have a chance here and the Cats look like being at full strength.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 am

Hamburger wrote:We have not won at Kardinia Park/or whatever they call it now since 2006....and that was the classic comeback from 36 points down to win by 3 points. That is a 15 year span. That's why we generally get scheduled to play them there most years..... Am I confident? No, but that said the Cats have looked pretty scratchy so far and could easily be 2 and 3. Our midfield will again need to stand up if we are to have a chance here and the Cats look like being at full strength.

Add to that, that postage stamp they call a football ground does not suit our game style at all. They'll need to be prepared to play a Richmond style game to have any shot all - and given how adverse some of our guys are to laying - and more importantly sticking - tackles, that doesn't seem likely.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:56 am

HH wrote:Witherden had a great club debut. Brander continues on his journey following his break out game. Darls was fantastic. And Keifer is the man.

I can't see Witherden ever playing WAFL again, that was the best debut for the team that I can recall since maybe NN or Cousins. His kicking and vision was of the Dean Kemp standard and I think had a major influence on our team game. Look this way, kick that way, hit the target; wonderful:)

Brander also looks like he is growing in confidence every week and his kicking skills were also a delight.

We really needed Redden and Duggan to step up with the outs we have and it was great to see they did. If they can keep it up... then we'll keep winning.

So much to like about so many players in this game and plenty said about JD and Oscar. It's still early in the season but this team looks like they have what it takes to build something very special by year end, especially with star players to come back. If they don't it'll be a missed opportunity.

We need to win at the cattery.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Jack Sidious on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 am

Hamburger wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:

Spot on good post

We have not won at Kardinia Park/or whatever they call it now since 2006....and that was the classic comeback from 36 points down to win by 3 points. That is a 15 year span. That's why we generally get scheduled to play them there most years..... Am I confident? No, but that said the Cats have looked pretty scratchy so far and could easily be 2 and 3. Our midfield will again need to stand up if we are to have a chance here and the Cats look like being at full strength.

We were 54 points down with 9 minutes left in the third quarter
2013 Sponsor of Jack Darling - look out
Jack Sidious
Veteran

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles