11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Re-signings and Contracts

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Re-signings and Contracts

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-02/milestone-looms-for-veteran-eagle-with-oneyear-deal-imminent

I'm a little torn over Schofield.
I want to see him play on as an Eagle, I think our backline still looks better with him in it, and he provides great depth. I would hope to see him managed throughout the season, and play a part again in a finals campaign. Naturally I presume the club would ensure he gets to 200.
For a guy "written off" so many times, 200 games, as a champion, would be an awesome achievement, and hopefully he goes out on a high next year.
My only reservation would be whether he could get a better offer elsewhere? There are obviously teams that could really use him, and maybe he could get a 2 year offer with the possibility of a 3rd.

And there's always the development question.
Are we better off getting 20 games into Rotham than another 20 into Schofield? On a one game basis, Schofield offers more, but with all that extra experience would we be better off with a more developed Rotham?
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-02/milestone-looms-for-veteran-eagle-with-oneyear-deal-imminent

I'm a little torn over Schofield.
I want to see him play on as an Eagle, I think our backline still looks better with him in it, and he provides great depth. I would hope to see him managed throughout the season, and play a part again in a finals campaign. Naturally I presume the club would ensure he gets to 200.
For a guy "written off" so many times, 200 games, as a champion, would be an awesome achievement, and hopefully he goes out on a high next year.
My only reservation would be whether he could get a better offer elsewhere? There are obviously teams that could really use him, and maybe he could get a 2 year offer with the possibility of a 3rd.

And there's always the development question.
Are we better off getting 20 games into Rotham than another 20 into Schofield? On a one game basis, Schofield offers more, but with all that extra experience would we be better off with a more developed Rotham?

I think that's something we'd need to manage anyway. Rotham (and Edwards) will be injury cover for Gov & Barass anyway, and in a "perfect world" I'd look to play Schoey for ha;f he games, get him to 200, and have him available for he finals. For the rest continue to develop Rotham and Coles based on match-ups
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Ah Chee's sole AFL appearance in 2019 was the round 16 Western Derby thumping of Fremantle, following eight games last year after crossing from Port Adelaide seeking more opportunity.
Despite strong WAFL form this year, when he averaged 21 touches and booted nine goals in 16 games for West Coast's reserves, the 25-year-old couldn't break through.
Ah Chee was named emergency on 13 occasions, including both finals.
Brendon Ah Chee during his sole appearance for the Eagles in 2019. Picture: AFL Photos
While opportunities have been scarce, he has added valuable versatility through midfield and half-forward, as well as depth to the Eagles squad since leaving the Power after 27 games in six years.
Ah Chee, whose brother Callum has requested a trade from Gold Coast to Brisbane, was originally drafted from South Fremantle with pick 45 in 2011.
His deal for 2020 would be the third one-year contract Ah Chee has signed with the Eagles since returning to the west.
FFS
What is it with clogging up the list with spuds who are going nowhere?

Ah Chee was taken at #45 in 2011, in a draft that didn't have much depth. Picks like that are a gamble. Some come good, others don't. He's had 8 years on an AFL list and never even looked like he might be AFL quality.

I'm all for 2nd chances, mature-aged rookies, and roughies, but when they don't pan out, they need to go.
And please don't say "well he's better than pick 60 in the Rookie Draft" because he just isn't. He's got zero upside, and zero chance of coming good. Give me a rookie with a 5% chance any day.
And besides, I don't think it ever works. I can't think of anyone that has done nothing for 8 years on an AFL list, then suddenly come good.

I don't mind waiting till we see what happens with the Kelly trade. If we give up all of our current picks, then he's might be worth keeping on the Rookie List.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Several other out-of-contract Eagles' futures remain unclear, as the chase for Geelong star Tim Kelly officially begins again following his trade request on Wednesday.
Four-gamer Kurt Mutimer, plus yet-to-debut onballers Hamish Brayshaw and Matthew Allen, and mature rookies Josh Smith and Keegan Brooksby are understood to remain unsigned.

Murtimer needs to go.
Allen needs to go somewhere that will give him a shot as a KPP.
I don't understand the delay with Brayshaw. What would want to offer Ah Chee another year, but prevaricate over Brayshaw who is already a better player? Unless he wants a trade to Freo to be with his Dad and Brother?
Smith and Brooksby both belong in the "WTF ere they thinking?" category.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:50 am

At the end of the day, lists are made up of a diversity of players. There are the ones that take the lion's share of the salary cap which then forces the club to recruit lesser players.

Ah Chee can play a role and is costing us next to nothing, same for Smith and Brooksby was cover for Naitanui's recovery while Williams develops. He was almost called upon to play.

There are players that, because of the strength of the senior team, are starved of opportunities. Many will either end delisted or traded if they want opportunities.

As much as we would all love a team full of Shuey's, Darling's, Yeo's and McGovern's that salary cap doesn't allow it. So, we bring in fringe players, hoping they can perform but are more speculative. Without Steven Armstrong in 2006 we may have lost the GF. He, like Ah Chee, Smith etc was recruited for depth and played his role. All of the players on the list play their role at he club. Brooksby kept turning up and playing well, particularly through the middle part of the season, so he performed his role.

And I can hear it now; "I would rather a young draftee than a list clogger like Ah Chee or Smith." That may be true, but if we need someone to step into a big final when we have an injury or suspension, I would be going with the player that is physically capable of doing a job for us.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:49 am

For an honest club, the Salary Cap prevents us throwing millions at every Free Agent that becomes available.

But I don't think we go out and deliberately hire scrubs simply because they are cheap.
Besides, any Rookie, or even draftee will be equally as cheap.

The "Pre-season supplemental selection period" allowed clubs to Rookie for free any previously listed player who had sat out a season. We committed to take Keegan Brooksby, and I am of course pleased that we stuck with our committent.
But we then went to to trade for Hickey and drafted Williams. Unfortunately none of our backups do much as forwards.
And then we developed the strategy of using Oscar part-time.

Nothing wrong with giving Ah Chee a 2nd chance (although after 6 years with port it was always a long-shot)

Now as I said, if we end up spending all our picks on Kelly, then I'd put Ah Chee on the Rookie List for a year, because we're going to be drafting a lot of speculative late or Rookie picks.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MelbourneBased on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Kennedy and Hurn come of contract at end of 2020 and their good money should provide room to back load Kelly's contract. Especially considering the minimum wages he was on at Geelong.

Gaff heading home won't happen. The media would have a field day. Either about him (if he want to go) or the club. Then which club would take him. Surely North Melbourne has moved on. Whilst Geelong is saying they don't have available cap.

I can't see more than 1 of the players, Brayshaw, Mutimer and Allen, being with the Eagles,next year..... none have played a AFL game and all will be 22/23 next year.

I rewatched the Matthew Allen draft video https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news ... thew-allen and looking at ... it just seems that they were hoping he would grow a inch or two and become a key forward. But he hasn't and Oscar Allen and Waterman have leaped from him in the pecking order.

With Masten going and Rioli's issue, Ah Chee and Smith have the AFL experience and therefore have a great opportunity to be the next mature age surprises.
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Well we have to draft at least 3, so with Masten out, 2 of the others on the main list (not the rookie list like McInnes) have to go. I'm thinking that they are going to see if any of the 3 have trade value, even for unused picks. That will be an easier way for them to move clubs and then delist 2 of them. May not have made up their minds.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby MelbourneBased on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:33 pm

pure speculation by me ....Pettrucelli to Hawks for their 11 pick plus swap of picks.

Just wondering whether Jack would provide some speed and small forward play for them and we gets closer to the picks for TIm Kelly.
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Why does everyone seem to want to get rid of Petch?

With no Rioli we can't let any of our speedsters go.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Pinion King wrote:Why does everyone seem to want to get rid of Petch?

I'm with you. He was a bit of a speculative with no real football background and he's been pretty good.
Keeps improving. Only young. Get a bit of strength into him and a bit of tackling practice and he could be better than handy.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MelbourneBased on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Pinion King wrote:Why does everyone seem to want to get rid of Petch?

Well he does not look like he has a Western Australian partner yet... the photos from the John Worsfold Medal night was with his Mum and Dad. :D
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby MelbourneBased on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm

With the proposed deal for TIm Kelly, 14,24, 33 and the Kitchen Sink, I wonder if one of the 3 required draftees will be an evaluation of Francis Watson from Rookie List
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:02 pm

MelbourneBased wrote:With the proposed deal for TIm Kelly, 14,24, 33 and the Kitchen Sink, I wonder if one of the 3 required draftees will be an evaluation of Francis Watson from Rookie List

Yeah with picks 93, 147 and 231, we'll draft Chris Masten, upgrade Watson and exhume Holmes as well.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Mead on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 pm

What we are getting for the Kelly trade is our premiership window being squarely open for another year whilst Kennedy is still on the park- by that measure it's a good deal which makes sense- eventually we will need to rebuild and the lack of picks will bite then, but we are still in contender mode now and anything which increases the likelihood of cup 5 in the next few years is well worth it.

I wish we had got the deal done 12 months ago, if kelly had got us across the line in a couple of close ones 2019 could have been totally different.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles