West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

One team State of Origin returns

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

One team State of Origin returns

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:44 pm

Thanks to Anthropogenic Global Warming we now have the opportunity to watch Victoria play State of Origin footy again. Ho-hum :? :?

One State of Origin team to play the rest combined. As far as I can see the All Stars team has nothing to play for, no pride and no passionately cheering fans and nobody who really cares. And this really sums up why the State Origin game Aussie Rules invented is no longer played.

Game: Friday 28 Feb 2020. Docklands

https://www.afl.com.au/news/365314/afl- ... e-donation
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: One team State of Origin returns

Postby HH on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Could not have said it any better myself.

It is not true state of origin.

Fark you VFL.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:13 pm

To be fair, my view of this would be as a once-off all stars game to raise money for the bushfire victims.

But they should just call it that: "All Stars"

And pleas, PLEASE tell me we're not going risk Nicnat, Gov, or JK in this.

Oh, and if they name Brownlow Wanker as Captain, then I'm not watching.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Why not have the team named All Australians for 2019 v an All Star team made from the rest. Seems a bit Vic centric. And why at Docklands?
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:And pleas, PLEASE tell me we're not going risk Nicnat, Gov, or JK in this.

This is why state of origin failed. Cluibs wouldn't release their best players on a Tuesday arvo.

I think we should put up Sheed, Gaff (for the Vics) and Foley
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm

state of origin failed for 3 reasons;
1) Reduced need and relevance in the AFL era
2) "Origin" was only ever a FIX to the inter-state concept
3) Inclusion of the "Allies"

Origin was only ever introduced, to fix the problem of the VFL nicking our best players, than claiming them as victorians. Origin allowed them to return to play for WA and SA.

With the way the draft operates, its lost its mojo. Guys make conscious decisions to adopt new lives interstate.
Cripps has accepted the carltank captaincy, I have no interest in watching him pretend to represent WA.
Similarly, no fekking way do I want to see our captain playing for prictoria.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Similarly, no fekking way do I want to see our captain playing for prictoria.

You have your wish. The Norm Smith medalist from two years ago is not in the top 25 Victorian players anyway. No Eagle player is.

Looks like only two make the cut for the other team.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:32 am

Gaff now lining up for the Vics and wearing number 3 in the Victorian of Origin game.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Fat Side wrote:Gaff now lining up for the Vics and wearing number 3 in the Victorian of Origin game.

There will be a few Victorian selectors having the see the chiropractor after turning their neck this far west.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:30 am

Turned out to be a predictably dull and bruise free game of footy with the 'non-origin' team having nothing to play for; especially when it should have counted. Almost seemed scripted. Lets not do a pantomime like that again.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:32 am

It raised money for the bush fire victims so there is a positive. Other than that, it was lacklustre.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Return to AFL Board