West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Injury Treatment

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Injury Treatment

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:22 pm

I was watching a bit of the game tonight, and Walters torn his hamstring. It struck just how stuck in the dark-ages footy is when it comes to first-aid injury treatment.
The player has torn a muscle. It could be mild, it could be severe. You won't know till you get an MRI.
So the first thing they start doing is "massaging" it. Seriously, WTF? It's never going to acheive anything, and if its a severe tear, then you risk making it worse.

Then when that doesn't work, they stick ice on it. FMD. Ice does not promote healing, in fact the exact opposite. It may also cause the muscle to contract or cramp, again making the injury worse.
No attempt to immobilise the injured leg, just stick ice on it and leave him sitting there in the cold.

Ever had physiotherapy? I'll tell you one thing they never use, and that's ice. If anything they will apply heat.

If you suffer soft-tissue injury in an accident, the paramedics will do 3 things: Immobilise, give you oxygen, and if necessary pain relief. The doctor will then prescribe complete rest of the affected area, fluids, and if necessary anti-inflammatories. They may use strapping or compression to prevent fluid build-up.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: Injury Treatment

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I was watching a bit of the game tonight, and Walters torn his hamstring. It struck just how stuck in the dark-ages footy is when it comes to first-aid injury treatment.
The player has torn a muscle. It could be mild, it could be severe. You won't know till you get an MRI.
So the first thing they start doing is "massaging" it. Seriously, WTF? It's never going to acheive anything, and if its a severe tear, then you risk making it worse.

Then when that doesn't work, they stick ice on it. FMD. Ice does not promote healing, in fact the exact opposite. It may also cause the muscle to contract or cramp, again making the injury worse.
No attempt to immobilise the injured leg, just stick ice on it and leave him sitting there in the cold.

Ever had physiotherapy? I'll tell you one thing they never use, and that's ice. If anything they will apply heat.

If you suffer soft-tissue injury in an accident, the paramedics will do 3 things: Immobilise, give you oxygen, and if necessary pain relief. The doctor will then prescribe complete rest of the affected area, fluids, and if necessary anti-inflammatories. They may use strapping or compression to prevent fluid build-up.

My experience of pulling hammies (as recent as last year) is that ice promotes a quicker recovery.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Return to AFL Board