11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

International Rules squad named

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

International Rules squad named

Postby jess-jess on Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:53 pm

The squad is:

Luke Ball (St Kilda), Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda), Max Hudghton (St Kilda), Austinn Jones (St Kilda), Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda),

Craig Bolton (Sydney), Jude Bolton (Sydney),

Joel Bowden (Richmond), Nathan Brown (Richmond),

Michael Braun (West Coast), Andrew Embley (West Coast)

Cameron Bruce (Melbourne), Brad Green (Melbourne),

Joel Corey (Geelong),

Jared Crouch (Sydney), Brett Kirk (Sydney),

Alan Didak (Collingwood),

Robert Haddrill (Fremantle),

James Hird (Essendon, capt), Jason Johnson (Essendon), Adam McPhee (Essendon), Mark McVeigh (Essendon), Dean Solomon (Essendon)

Matthew Lappin (Carlton),

Mal Michael (Brisbane Lions),

Brady Rawlings (Kangaroos),
jess-jess
Veteran

Postby Thrawn666 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:07 pm

Any indication of who is going to get the keepers job?

Interesting squad there

We're going to miss Chris Johnson who has been bloody good for us the last two series up forward.

Sad not to have Big Bad Bustling Barry in the side too
Thrawn666
Veteran

Postby Dublin Eagle on Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:07 pm

Looks like a good team, but I'm a bit disappointed in not getting to see Chris Judd exploding down the middle of Croke Park. :( .

One question though. Who is going to play in goal for the Aussies? Mal Michael perhaps?

Should be a great series anyway. The Irish won't be easy on their home turf.
Dublin Eagle
Regular

Postby llosis on Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:11 pm

Mal Michael will wear the keepers gloves.

It's amazing how far removed the IR team is from the AA team - barely any similarities. I know there are injuries but do you think we might be taking it a bit more seriously than in the past?
llosis
Veteran

Postby Thrawn666 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:24 pm

llosis wrote:Mal Michael will wear the keepers gloves.

It's amazing how far removed the IR team is from the AA team - barely any similarities. I know there are injuries but do you think we might be taking it a bit more seriously than in the past?

I think weve been taking it seriously for a few years now from a selection POV

Some AA players would get a gig but for surgery and a need for time off as you say though
Thrawn666
Veteran

Postby willo-selly kenobi on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:32 pm

woulda been nice to see Juddy and Fletch playing but congrats to Embers and Brauny for getting the call up. and well done to Joel Corey, you're a champ :)
wsk, StalkerFlyingHigh
willo-selly kenobi
Veteran

Postby Knighty on Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:29 pm

They're playing a practice match against a VFL team today. Being a purist, I can't say I'm a big fan of hybrid rules footy but it should be entertaining against the Irish. Good to see the game taking off in the U-S.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=aflfoc ... eid=174666
Fetch hither le fromage de la belle France.
Knighty
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jess-jess on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:19 pm

a photo of some of the boys at training over in Ireland. It's strange to see Embers in bomber colours!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138302
jess-jess
Veteran

Postby jess-jess on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:17 am

http://westcoasteagles.com.au/default.a ... eid=175010

Workmanlike Aussies win IR warm-up
Ashley Browne in Dublin
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au
5:54:33 AM Thu 14 October, 2004

Nick Riewoldt is already a star at AFL football. And on the basis of one practice match, he might already be able to add a derivative of the game to that list.

Riewoldt wasn't the best player in the 10-point International Rules practice match win by Australia on Wednesday afternoon but he was every bit as exciting and played with as much flair as he does every weekend for St Kilda.

Riewoldt kicked three unders (worth three points each) for Australia in the clash against a combination team drawn from Dublin's better club footballers but looked damaging in the air and every time he went close to goal.

Ireland is said to be relieved that Barry Hall is not playing this year, but that relief might be short-lived once Riewoldt starts to strut his stuff on Sunday.

"He goes okay, Nick. He looked quite comfortable, didn't he," marvelled coach Garry Lyon afterwards. "I'd like to have another few of him."

Australia's 51-41 win at Parnell Park was workmanlike, but served its purpose given that the team was barely 24 hours removed from a 28-hour flight to Dublin.

And the opposition was certainly better than the park team that Australia beat by more than 70 points two years ago.

The locals scored three six-point goals and opened up the visitors in defence on more than a few occasions, although Mal Michael showed great promise in his first match as a goalkeeper.

"You hate to give six points, but that's what practice games are for," Lyon said.

"You’d rather give up three or four like we did today than give them up on Sunday. Had we have gone through the match and not had our goalie challenged, it would have been a wasted exercise. It was beneficial for us."

Of some concern heading into Sunday's first test against Ireland was that Matthew Lappin scored the only six-pointer for Australia, only to leave the ground shortly afterwards with a quad strain that team officials said later would leave the creative forward in doubt for Sunday's clash.

Jared Crouch, Cameron Bruce and Jude Bolton also suffered corked thighs but are expected to play.

Lyon admitted his forwards played too much like it would in an AFL match rather than one that uses compromised rules.

Among those to impress on Wednesday were Andrew Embley, Adam McPhee, Nathan Brown and Robert Haddrill.

The list of those with more improvement in them was considerably longer, however Lyon was typically upbeat afterwards.

"It was really worthwhile and badly needed from our point of view. I had higher expectations but a few of the boys reminded me that we'd only got off the plane 24 hours ago, so that was fair enough."

The Australians have a free day on Thursday and will have their main training session ahead of the first test at Croke Park on Friday.

Australia: 19, 30, 40, 51
Dublin Selection: 11, 20, 26, 41
Overs: Australia: Lappin.
Unders: Riewoldt 3, Green 3, Bowden 2, Ball, Lappin, McPhee, Brown, Hird, Dal Santo.
Injuries: Lappin (quad), J.Bolton (thigh), Bruce (thigh), Crouch (thigh)

i don't know how to copy pictures but if you go to the page there is one of Embers in action.
jess-jess
Veteran

Postby Eagle Power on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:06 am

jess-jess wrote:http://westcoasteagles.com.au/default.a ... eid=175010

i don't know how to copy pictures but if you go to the page there is one of Embers in action.

to copy pictures:
[img]image URL[/img]
Proud Sponsor of the Captain.
Eagle Power
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jess-jess on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:55 pm

Thanks EP i'll know for next time :wink:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

Lyon quells hype on Riewoldt
15 October 2004 Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

LAST year all the talk was about Barry Hall. This year it's Nick Riewoldt.

The St Kilda superstar has grabbed the attention of the Irish in the lead-up to Sunday's first Test at Croke Park and yesterday showed why he will be pivotal to Australia's chances of winning a third consecutive International Rules Series.

In a scratch match against a Dublin All-Stars team, which Australia won 51-41, Riewoldt was among a host of steady performers, prompting the Irish to ask about "the big blond bloke".

Playing mainly in the midfield with a brief stint deep in the forward line, where he is expected to play on Sunday, Riewoldt did as he does in the AFL: run, mark and create.

Australian coach Garry Lyon used him sparingly, in a pre-match plan, but he still finished with three three-pointers and one big mark.

The Irish were impressed, although Lyon did his best to quell the hype.

"This Riewoldt, he looks like a bit of a phenomenon, he's going to be the one everyone will be talking about on Monday morning," one Irish reporter said to Lyon.

Quipped Lyon: "I wouldn't have thought so, he's just a good honest toiler.

"I wouldn't go getting too excited about him."

Playing barely 24 hours after arriving in Dublin, Australia looked sluggish for most of yesterday's match.

Lyon's approach to the two-Test series was evident when he made the entire team wear a different player's jumper.

Alan Didak wore Corey, Dean Solomon wore Green, James Hird wore Embley and their two big guns, Nathan Brown and Riewoldt, were Ball and Solomon respectively.

To further confuse the Irish coaching staff, some of them again exchanged jumpers at halftime.

In a sometimes willing match, Australia lost Matthew Lappin to a quad strain -- he is a likely non-starter on Sunday -- while Jared Crouch, Cameron Bruce and Jude Bolton all suffered corked legs, but are expected to be available.

The livewire Lappin booted Australia's only six-pointer before he was injured, but Australia had avenues aplenty.

The forward set-up yesterday was rotated constantly, but we can expect a combination of Brown, Riewoldt, Hird, Brad Green, Didak, Joel Bowden (two goals yesterday) and either of Solomon or Andrew Embley on Sunday.

Embley, who toured Ireland with an under-17 team, was the surprise. He found plenty of the ball, was aggressive and has given Lyon an unexpected bonus. "Gee, he moves really well," Lyon said. Hird played only the first quarter.

Australia's ability to sweep the ball from defence and switch the play, a tactic the Irish generally fail to counter in these matches, again was the basis of yesterday's game plan.

Michael Braun, Craig Bolton, Max Hudghton, Robert Haddrill and Austinn Jones formed the defence with Jones' run through the middle a stand-out. His dinky baulks, so effective in AFL, also caught out the enthusiastic Irish.

Concerns over Mal Michael as goalkeeper were eased to the point of confidence.

"I thought he was good," Lyon said. "I know he gave six points up at the end, but from our point of view it was better he got two more goes at trying to defend his goals."

Australia gave up three six-pointers, but Lyon wasn't too concerned.

"That's what practice matches are about. It's better for us to concede three or four today than three or four on Sunday," he said.

sounds like Embers is impressing over in Ireland
jess-jess
Veteran

Postby Dublin Eagle on Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:46 pm

I for one can't wait for the match on Sunday. Both teams will be really up for it, and it should be a great game.

I missed the scratch match on Wednesday unfortunately, because of work. :( .

Hopefully Brauny & Embers play and play well. I will be there wearing my Eagles jumper with pride.

BTW. Is the match being shown live in Perth on on delay? Match starts @2pm here, so 9pm in Perth.
Dublin Eagle
Regular

Postby jess-jess on Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:00 pm

i think it's delayed. 10.30, but don't quote me.

i went to the game last year at Subi and really enjoyed it. You'll have a great time.

In the overseas games they usually pan over people in the crowd wearing club jumpers, we might catch you on the coverage!
jess-jess
Veteran

Postby Dublin Eagle on Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:07 pm

jess-jess wrote:
i went to the game last year at Subi and really enjoyed it. You'll have a great time.

In the overseas games they usually pan over people in the crowd wearing club jumpers, we might catch you on the coverage!

I was also at the game last year at Subi, so I know what to expect.

Yep if you see some bloke in an Eagles jumper, it could well be me. You never know though, there a quite a few Aussies over here, so the could be a few Eagles fans about.
Dublin Eagle
Regular

Postby Pheret on Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:13 pm

I think we're gonna lose this series. Our team just doesn't have the sparkle about it this year as in previous years. A whole lot of players mentioned in the AA team not going. That's dissapointing, even if it is understandable.
THE PANDA MAN CAN!!!
Pheret
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to AFL Board