Luke Edwards
Recruited from: Glenelg, SANFL / Henley
Position: Medium defender
Height: 188cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 12/01/02
Cal Twomey’s draft range: Late/rookie

Son of Adelaides Tyson Edwards.

West Coast's newest recruit Luke Edwards was widely considered to be a first round pick before the COVID shutdown.

His father Tyson played 321 games for the Crows in his 15-year career, including the 1997 and 1998 premiership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3YlWBpZS9g
https://youtu.be/YKS1DMcUmyI

There are conflicting claims about Edwards.
Last month, the Crows were keen to spin it that they had rejected him as FS prospect.
But as far back as March, the story was already out that the family didn't want him at the Crows because of the way his brother was treated at the infamous 2017 camp.

He's a midfielder who has been used across halfback. He played fro SA last year as an underage player, and was in the allstars game.
At the start of this year he was rated a First round pick, and Bucks recently ranked him at 29.

I'd say he's a Good prospect for the pick we used. Could be a spud, could be a diamond, but definitely worth a gamble.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: 2020 Draft

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Streaker wrote:If Zane Trew, Isiah Winder or Luke Edwards are available around picks 35 to 40 I can see us trading back into the draft.

Well you picked the right players! Two out of three ain't bad, and Trew still available for the Rookie Draft.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:59 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:If Zane Trew, Isiah Winder or Luke Edwards are available around picks 35 to 40 I can see us trading back into the draft.

Well you picked the right players! Two out of three ain't bad, and Trew still available for the Rookie Draft.

Hoping Trew is still available but we'll definitely take Ugle possibly as a Cat B rookie. Maybe we pick Kailin Lane as well as I was suprised given some teams need for a Ruck that he was still available.

https://www.wafl.com.au/player/kalin-lane

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/kalin-lane/

The 204cm bigman has showcased strong ruck craft and an appetite for competing around the ground, contributing to his steep rate of development and overall upside. Across a full Colts campaign this year, Lane lived up to his billing and played a key part in Claremont’s run to the Grand Final. His form was also enough to warrant selection in the WA Under All-Stars fixtures, where he only continued his upward trend and consolidated his place on the AFL Draft radar.

STRENGTHS:

Ruck craft
Height/size
Tackling
Follow-up work
Contested marking
IMPROVEMENTS:

Raw
Consistency

What may set Lane apart in future is his ability and willingness to follow up those initial acts in the ruck. It is no surprise that a player of his 204cm and 96kg build holds great presence at stoppages, though not all rucks are able to compete at ground level. Lane does just that with his ability to win clearances and lay crunching tackles, showcasing a high work-rate and competitive edge once the ball hits the deck. Again, he is not particularly quick but has a good crack once his number is called and when the ball or carrier enters his area.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:23 am

Nice work Streaks. Happy Edwards slipped too.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:57 am

Eagles have said both players are going to be developed as midfielders from day one.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 am

DALBY wrote:Nice work Streaks. Happy Edwards slipped too.

Zane Trew completes the trifecta.

Awesome work
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am

I think Streaker is the clear winner of 2020 Draft Guru!
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Glad we rookied Venables, I’ve heard he might be good to go, which would be a big bonus
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:28 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:Glad we rookied Venables, I’ve heard he might be good to go, which would be a big bonus

I doubt it
Last I heard the club was still working with the AFL to get some concession that would allow us to keep him on the inactive list, but still allow him to play (WAFL) when and if the doctors permit. I had heard that he is getting back to normal mentally, but that's still a way short of being able to play AFL.
And personally I remain concerned about the risk.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:42 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:Glad we rookied Venables, I’ve heard he might be good to go, which would be a big bonus

I doubt it
Last I heard the club was still working with the AFL to get some concession that would allow us to keep him on the inactive list, but still allow him to play (WAFL) when and if the doctors permit. I had heard that he is getting back to normal mentally, but that's still a way short of being able to play AFL.

The fact that they aren't worried if he doesn't return back to the club for training till later in the year suggests that he won't play this year. Hopefully he can be added to the inactive list, like Adelaide have done for Bryce Gibbs, so that we can recruit someone to fill the spot. The below link suggests that others will use this strategy as well. Maybe we can still pick up Kalin Lane.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/528890/nine ... -for-2021-
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:15 am

Streaker wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

I doubt it

The fact that they aren't worried if he doesn't return back to the club for training till later in the year suggests that he won't play this year. Hopefully he can be added to the inactive list, like Adelaide have done for Bryce Gibbs, so that we can recruit someone to fill the spot. The below link suggests that others will use this strategy as well. Maybe we can still pick up Kalin Lane.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/528890/nine ... -for-2021-

I'll be pissed if we're not allowed to, but Adelaide is allowed to get away with it for Gibbs.
I know the article specifically mentioned him, but I cannot see how Gibbs could possibly qualify? He's not injured, and has already signed to play in the SNAFL.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:21 am

Is anyone able go explain this to me:

In the final stages of the ND, Essendon had picks 49 and 50 (having traded them from Brissy). Our pick had moved to 51, followed by the Dogs at 52 and Muppets at 53.
All those picks were then pushed out by one.

So come pick 50, Essendon bid on Walker, and it was matched by Freo.
At 51 Essendon then bid on Rioli, and it was matched by Richmond.

But then we came in with pick 52!
WTF happened to Essendon's picks??
(Essendon did come back in when the Dogs bid on Brand at 53, but that doesn't explain what happened to their picks.)

(NB: There do not appear to have been any late trades.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 pm

I have not looked this up but I seem to remember while listening about some late trade of picks - probably the scum - for something next year; picks they would not use this year. Maybe to Sydney who could use the points this year? Whatever, its bound to be an untrustworthy and very doggy move by Essendon, I don't trust em.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading